WHAT: The March of Dimes is thrilled to announce, fashion designer, entrepreneur and philanthropist, Kay Unger, will be the emcee for the 2014 Heroines of Washington® Gala. The black-tie gala will recognize and honor the significant contributions of women in the D.C. Metro Area who exemplify leadership in volunteer community service. This year’s finalists include 21 women dedicated to transitional housing for young mothers and children, cancer patients and their families, breaking the cycle of poverty, and survivors of abuse among numerous other causes. They are leaders in the public and private sector who are passionate about giving back.
Tickets are still available for the event, which also includes a cocktail reception, dinner, awards presentation, and a silent and live auction. For a complete list of the finalists and to learn more, please visit marchofdimes.org/heroines.
WHO: Kay Unger’s labels, The Kay Unger New York and Phoebe Couture, have been worn by Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama. Her designs have been featured on television programs including “The Today Show,” “Sex in the City” and “Dancing with the Stars.” She has founded and managed four successful global fashion companies.
2014 Heroines of Washington Finalists
- Kat Calvin, The Advisory Board Company
- Sherry Cushman, Cushman & Wakefield
- Karen Evans, U.S. Cyber Challenge
- Janet Funk, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Lisa Gable, Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation
- Tracy Hobiena, Intrepid Performance Partners, LLC.
- Heather Huneycutt, Novant Health
- Rebecca Lady, Deloitte
- Lisa Moffett, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
- Jane Mosbacher Morris, To the Market
- Angel Rich, The Wealth Factory
- Joan Ritter, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- Janis Schiff, Holland & Knight
- Deborah Scott Thomas, Data Solutions & Technology Incorporated
- Dani Seltzer, Shay Interiors, LLC
- Kim Shrewsbury, United Bank
- Julie Simmons, Human Capital Strategic Consulting
- Amanda Tiede, Cassidy Turley
- Alice Till, PhRMA (ret’d)
- Katie Yanushonis, Boston Properties
- Mimi Yeh, Accenture Federal Services
The gala has attracted 400 guests in the past and include directors, CEOs, and other high-level individuals from the public and private sectors.
Tuesday, November 18, 2014, at 6:00 pm
The Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner
1700 Tysons Blvd.
McLean, VA 22102
WHY: Proceeds from the event will support local March of Dimes programs including research, community services, education and advocacy to reduce the occurrence of birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality. Since 2001, the event has raised over $1.8 million to ensure that one day all babies are born full term and healthy.
Sponsors include: General Dynamics, Middleburg Wealth Management, MorganFranklin Consulting, Sapient, Womble Carlyle, Harris Corporation, DC Magazine, FedScoop, Federal News Radio, and SmartCEO.
Contact: Michele Murphy-Hedrick, March of Dimes, (571) 257-2303 o, (703) 798-6172 c, firstname.lastname@example.org